Strong

Strong

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Please hear what I'm not saying

By Charles C. Finn 

Don't be fooled by me
Don't be fooled by the face I wear
For I wear a mask, a thousand masks
Masks that I'm afraid to take off, 
And none of them is me 
Pretending is an art that's second nature 
With me 
But don't be fooled, 
For Gods sake don't be fooled.
I give you the impression that 
I'm secure,
That all is sunny and unruffled 
With me, within as well without
That confidence is my name 
And coolness is my game, 
That the waters calm and I'm in 
Command 
And that I need no one, 
But don't believe me. 
My surface may seem smooth but my
Surface is my mask, 
Ever-varying and over-concealing.
Beneath lies confusion, and fear, and 
Aliveness.
But I hide this. I don't want anybody to know it. 
I panic at the thought of my 
Weakness exposed
That's why I frantically create a 
Mask to hide behind, 
A nonchalant sophisticated facade, 
To help me pretend, 
To shield me from the glance that 
Knows. 
But such a glance is precisely any 
Salvation, my only hope,
And I know it.
That is, if it's followed by 
Acceptance, 
It is followed by love.
It's the only thing that can 
Liberate me from myself. 
From my own self-built prison 
Walls, 
From the barriers I so, 
Painstakingly erect.
It's the only thing that will
Assure me 
Of what I can assure myself. 
That I'm really worth something. 
But I don't dare to tell you this. 
I don't dare to,
I'm afraid to
I'm afraid your glance 
Will not be followed by acceptance.
Will not be followed by love
I'm afraid you'll laugh, and your laugh
Would kill me.
I'm afraid that deep-down I'm nothing
And that you will see this and reject me.
So I play my game, my desperate pretending game,
With a facade of assurance without
And a trembling child within.
So begins the glittering but empty
Parade of masks, 
And my life becomes a front. 
I idly chatter to you in the suave 
Tones of surface talk. 
I tell you everything that's really 
Nothing, 
And nothing of what's everything,
Of what's crying within me. 
So when I'm going through my 
Routine 
Don't be fooled by what I'm saying 
Please listen carefully and try to hear
What I'm not saying, 
What I'd like to be able to say, 
What for survival I need to say,
But what I can't say.
I don't like hiding.
I don't like playing superficial 
Phony games.
I want to stop playing them.
I want to be genuine and spontaneous 
And me 
But you've got to help me, 
You've got to hold out your hand 
Even when that's the last thing I 
Seem to want.
Only you can wipe away from my eyes
The blank stare at the breathing dead. 
Only you can calm into your aliveness
Each time you try to understand 
Because you really care,
My heart begins to grow wings-
Very small wings,
Very feeble wings,
But wings! 
With your power to teach me into 
Feeling 
You can breathe life into me. 
I want you to know how important 
You are to me, how can be a creator-an
Honest-to-God creator-
Of the person that is me 
If you choose to. 
You alone can break down the walk 
Behind which I tremble, 
You alone can remove my mask, 
You alone can release from my 
Shadow-world of panic, 
From my lonely person, 
If you choose to 
Please choose to.
Do not pass me by. 
It will not be easy for you. 
A long conviction of worthlessness
Builds strong walls.
The nearer you approach to me the 
Blinder I may strike back. 
It's irrational, but despite what 
The books say about man 
Often I am irrational.
I fight against the very thing I 
Cry out for. 
But I am told that love is stronger 
Than strong walls 
And in this lies my hope.
Please try to beat down, those walls
With firm hands but with gentle hands 
For a child is very sensitive 
Who am I, you may wonder? 
I am someone you know very well 
For i am every man you meet
For I am every woman you meet. 

If you made it this far that's impressive! This is my favorite poem ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment